Thursday, February 23, 2012

6-day-long training on LGBTQ rights in the Balkans

It was yesterday when I applied. There is going to be a nearly week-long course on LGBTQ rights, focused on the queer community, held in Zagreb. I applied but on my own -- not as a representative of any NGO I regularly work for. Fortunately, accommodation and food will be provided, but I do have to pay for my travelling costs. Zagreb is not that far away from Budapest so I hope it is not going to be that expensive. So, I'm going to install a donation option for this blog. I'm not asking for money (or at least not directly), but whoever wants to support my work, I gladly welcome him/her and would be very grateful. :) thank you thank you.

Organized by the Green European Foundation, the title "Queering Green Theory / Greening Queer Theory" refers to an approach how the Greens can address LGTBQ as a Human Rights issue.

The term "queer" is quite a new expression that is usually and wrongly used as a synonym for gay/lesbian. However, it is rather a lifestyle than a sexual orientation... lifestyle? it is an "ideology" I would say. It is interesting that those associating themselves with lgbt communities are not even familiar with the meaning of queer.

During our last Pride meeting it also turned out that a "clarification" is necessary. We are going to have a sensitization training sometime during spring and the queer-question (oh, how much I hate this expression) is one of the topics that we need to discuss. Complicated or just too modern? Why aren't we aware of these things? Back to my point: this course will definitely be fundamental for me -- as a degree collector, I always say that :) awareness-awareness-awareness, key concept of my life. Hope they accept my application... we'll see... 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More