Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Introducing Budapest Pride

So, today is the day of the CEU NGO fair. I've just read back the post that I published some days ago and realized that I have not written anything about Budapest Pride. 

I joined the organizer team last autumn, especially those coordinating the press. Later, when it turned out that I'm originally an art manager (or something like that), they convinced me to help the culture group arranging the events. I said ok, I welcomed this job because the Pride is an example how a cultural festival can highlight the importance of "colorfulness". The fight against homophobia and discrimination takes shape in a week-long cultural event with film screenings, exhibition, theater plays and of course the pride march. Its political message is inevitable -- due to the quite worrisome situation in the country -- but I think we should rather focus on the cultural values of such. It is more important to show that the festival is not only about saying "fuck off, I'm gay, get used to it", but about how diverse the lgbtq community is. 

I do enjoy working with them though it is not at all easy. I've already started contacting with gallery spaces, ruin bars, cafés -- wanted to find out who is open to exhibitions dealing with queer art. Meanwhile, I've also started a consultation with music artists, bands. We will see...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More