Saturday, March 17, 2012

George Clooney under arrest?!

So, there is a site that I regularly check: mashable.com. They are giving helpful advices from a special point of view, that is social media. The first post I saw yesterday was entitled "Twitter Users Show Support for George Clooney After Arrest" (link here) and it was pretty shocking. Not just because mashable is not famous for celebrity news but also because I had no idea what happened...

Let's see the most important questions: who? what? when? where? why?

Who: Amnesty International (yeaaahh)
What: demonstration
When: yesterday
Where: Washington
Why: for human rights

There is an ongoing humanitarian crisis in Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile. The Sudanese Armed Forces are conducting a campaign of indiscriminate bombing against civilians in both states. The resulting destruction of livelihoods combined with the blockade of humanitarian aid is putting hundred thousands of people on the brink of starvation.

Amnesty International called a protest against the escalating humanitarian crisis -- to bring awareness to the current situation in Sudan. The demonstration was aimed at the Sudanese leader, Omar al-Bashir, who is accused of “provoking a humanitarian crisis and blocking food and aid from entering the Nuba Mountains in the county’s border region with South Sudan.”

Sudan Protest DC

George Clooney participated in this event, he is known as an enthusiastic activist... he has been arrested for civil disobedience during this demonstration outside Sudan’s embassy. Well... Ok... how shall I put it?... So, I don't personally like him, not to mention his protest and arrest were orchestrated propaganda events... perhaps it is just my opinion.

You should not misunderstand me, I do appreciate when Hollywood stars deal with human rights issues, but in most cases these acts are just self-marketing tools. I do know that he made highly-publicized trips travelled to Sudan a lot of times... (now I think I am too sarcastic) but I honestly can not decide whether his activism is just part of his brand or he really cares.

Sudan Protest DC

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More